2. James Allen’s “As a Man Thinketh” I was given this book when I was about 30, and it really changed my life. It’s a book about meditation and the power of thought and the reality of life and truth. I started meditating and my life got better. My life has improved.
3. A good pair of shoes These feet, they carry us around. We’ve got to be good to them. It’s not a brand thing. The foot is as individual as the fingerprint. It’s just whatever feels right, whatever feels comfortable, whatever supports your foot well. Right now I’m wearing a pair of beautiful, lace-up wingtip boots. They fit great. And I have some shoes made by my friend Ozwald Boateng that are my dress shoes.
4. My favorite music I listen to mostly music that was made in the last century. I’m not allergic to music that is being made today. I just need a booster. I need somebody young to introduce me to the music that’s happening now. Some of my favorite music would be Miles Davis’s “Kind of Blue,” “John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman,” “Identity” by Airto Moreira, “Band of Gypsys,” Cassandra Wilson, the Beatles, the Stones. Howlin’ Wolf, Duke Ellington, Mahalia Jackson.
5. A great neck pillow and a warm blanket I’m a good napper. Actors, we have to use our energy like cats — we lie around and sleep a lot and then we have to get up and perform. So having a little place to lay down with a pillow that cradles the neck, supports the head, keeps the spine in alignment, it’s all good. Cashmere makes a great blanket. I actually have one of those in my dressing room at the theater. It’s fantastic.
6. Moroccan mint tea There’s a restaurant in Los Angeles that I’ve been eating at since I was a kid, Moun of Tunis. At the end of the meal, they serve mint tea and almond cakes. Mint is such a wonderful taste and smell, such a wonderful flavor. It just brightens everything up. Makes me happy.
7. A mini trampoline It’s low impact, gets your blood going. Kind of like jumping rope, without jumping rope. You get to defy gravity, seconds at a time. I have a mini tramp at both my homes. I do a routine, but there’s nothing rigid about it.
8. Crystals I got into crystals around 1988. My house in Los Angeles, I’ve got a bunch of crystals there. I only have a few here in New York. But I have a medicine bag of them that I sleep with. There’s a Herkimer diamond in it. There’s a piece of moldavite in it, a piece of smoky quartz, a piece of tourmaline. I get a good sound sleep every night. And my dreams can be very vivid. Crystals are medicine, man.